Intention: The intent of the survey is to understand if an organization’s subsystems support its ability to exist within its business environment. Congruence with the environment is paramount to a business’s survival.
Directions: Think about a group/organization you are a part of. Read the questions below carefully and answer all of them otherwise the results will be skewed. Then scroll down to help understand your assessment, use probing questions to dig deeper, learn more about Congruence, give feedback, and let us know what you learned.
This survey is adapted from G. Burrell and G. Morgan, Sociological Paradigms and Organizational Analysis, © 1979, Heinemann Educational Books
- What type of environment is your organization operating (First slider)?
- In what ways do the organizational subsystems aligned or not align with the environment?
- What are the implications of this in your organization?
- Where are the organizational subsystems not aligned with the environment? What are the implications of this in your organization?
- What did you notice about your organizations ability to thrive in its environment?
Your challenge is to use this knowledge to move your organization toward congruence with with it’s external environment. When an organization is in tune with with its environment it is better able to thrive.
If you would like assistance request a free half-hour consultation or free newsletter via the contact form. (Just write “newsletter” in the message body.) Please, leave a comment below about how you used this assessment, what did it make possible, or anything else you would like to say.